Wisdom
Wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace loving,
considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.
James 3:17
--------------------------
James 3:13-18 (NIV)
13 Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom.
14 But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth.
15 Such "wisdom" does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, of the devil.
16 For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.
17 But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.
18 Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness.
-------------------------
I had just concluded a brief presentation on the ministry of Christian Horizons and
was standing at the back of the church. One of the gentlemen came to thank me for
visiting with them and then he asked me the question that I have never
forgotten: “Do you ever see any healings?”
was standing at the back of the church. One of the gentlemen came to thank me for
visiting with them and then he asked me the question that I have never
forgotten: “Do you ever see any healings?”
The reason this question had such an impact on me was that I had discovered
that the people I had come to know might also have wondered if I was going to be
healed. Through my new friendships, I had become more conscious of the folly of
my aggressiveness and my impatience with others. I realize that I am not the person
that I seem to be when I am preaching to others. I can be selfish and much too
envious or competitive as I keep an eye out for how others are doing.
Now, don’t get me wrong. People with developmental challenges can be just as
ornery as I. However, I cannot help but think that my friends have contributed
much more to my understanding of Godly wisdom than any other segment of the
population. Even when someone with a behavioural disability is difficult, such
friends help me to see beyond a shallow condemnation of an action. These people
have changed my life and enriched my understanding of Scripture. Life lived with
such friends adds value to our society.
There is something refreshing and encouraging in experiencing the friendship of
individuals who are plain spoken and honest. I see a worthy example in their often
unselfish, non-competitive, openhanded living. I am so prone to fix my attention on
outward appearances. Scripture makes it quite clear that God sees beyond outward
appearances and focuses His attention on what motivates our hearts.
Recently, I watched Doris take a few moments to sit beside a dear friend with
complicated developmental challenges. The friend reached over and grabbed Doris’
hair in her fists. As I watched, I saw a few others calmly come to assist in the
situation and in a few moments, peace had been restored. I was soon to stand at the
front of the people in this church and I would be opening the Scriptures to
me for taking time to be with them. No one thanked Doris. She had also given her
time to come and she had known the risk when she chose to sit with her friend.
She lived a relationship that I could only talk about. The words of James ring clearly.
“Let [her] show [her] wisdom and understanding by [her] good life, by deeds done
in the humility that comes from [trusting in God’s] wisdom.” (James 3:13)
Early Christians were known as “People of The Way” in the book of Acts.
The road to success is found as we live our lives according to “The Way” as set
forth in and through Jesus. No more competition for this world’s accolades; just a
quiet, humble trust in the One who said to Peter and the rest of us,
“Come, follow Me.” (Mat 4:19)
---------------------
Heavenly Father, help me set my priorities today according to Your truth,
rather than according to the clamour bombarding my senses and screaming for my
attention. Help me to discern how I might best invest the resources at my disposal,
so that Your kingdom might most effectively be expanded in my life and
in the lives of those around me. Amen.
- Noel Churchman
Noel was the Executive Director of Christian Horizons form 1976 to 2001. The devotionals we will be using are from a book he wrote in 2005 called “Walking with God”. Noel’s reflections are grounded in his experiences as an educator, and provider of supports for individuals with exceptional needs as well as his life as a dedicated follower of Christ.


0 comments:
Post a Comment