You know what I have difficulty with or what I find amazing..Holding mybreath, In fact going under water in general really freaks me out. (Weird, I love the water, love sailing, but can't swim, Go figure?) This weekend I tried to hold my breath and my first attempt was only 17 seconds, and my second attempt only 30. If I was required to do it any longer than that,well, I guess you could say - Impossible. But not for all, Think of Apnea Divers, you probably know them as free divers. They dive to the depths as far as they can go without the help of any breathing apparatus. Some time 7-8 minutes and to a depth of 200 meters, Impossible. Or how about David Blaine? I know the guy is kind of creepy, I have a strong opinion of whathe does and how he does it but the reality is that in a glass bubble filled with water, he held his breath for 17 minutes in Aug of 2008, breaking the current world record, Impossible.
But those are only feats of the the human body, consider Mother Teresa. Wouldn't you think it impossible that out of the compassion she felt for those struggling with poverty out side the walls of the school where she taught would be born a charity that now has over 4000 sister, 100000 lay volunteers and 610 missions in 123 countries. Impossible! or the fact that in 1982, at the height of the Siege of Beirut, Mother Teresa rescued 37 children trapped in a front line hospital by brokering a temporary cease-fire between the Israeli army and Palestinian guerrillas. Accompanied by Red Cross workers, she traveled through the war zone to the devastated hospital to evacuate the young patients. (wikipedia 2009)
Incredible!
So why write about all of this, well, the impossible is a subject close to my heart right at the moment. You see, in May of 2008, I, a junk food loving, fairly inactive, 280 pound man made a commitment to walk from Kitchener to Windsor in May of 2009 (325 kms or more). for me at that time, IMPOSSIBLE!!!! What's even more impossible is the goal to encourage others to join me on the journey and through this to raise funds for projects both here at home and in South and Central America. To inspire others, to think differently of the blessings God has given and to raise $100 000, Impossible.
But you know it really isn't. It may take a lot of hard work (weight loss,changed eating habits), sacrifice (money, vacation time and resources), time (working out almost daily) and commitment (the daily decision to keep going), but it isn't impossible.
I don't know what is before you, perhaps you have something that before you and is your "Free Diving", something you can't imagine overcoming or accomplishing. Maybe it's an addiction, a difficult relationship, a bad habit or you struggle to figure out how to influence this world in a more positive way. What ever it is, it isn't impossible.
Crack open a bible and read Matthew 19, you will find some disciples that think it's impossible for anyone to be saved. And even more amazing is that Jesus agrees, until He clarifies that it is impossible with man, But not with God. "With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible."
But just because God is capable of "all things", doesn't mean He doesn't ask for action and obedience. Think of the walls of Jericho. They came down because of Gods power, but there was some significant obedience and action required (IE; a 7 day marching band). I'm constantly inspired by an old Russian proverb I heard once, "Pray, Yes, but keep rowing for shore". In other words, if you got a challenge before you, perhaps your in a lifeboat after a shipwreck, as I think this proverb suggests. You can rely on and look to God, but you've also got to use the skills, abilities and talents you've been provided to get you to shore or to reach the goal. For me, it was a fresh realization that health, time and money were all things God has given and I need to start rowing.
And finally, I also think that we need to be open to and looking for that pivotal moment between impossible and possible. In my case an emergency trip to the hospital in April of 2008 was the moment for me. Long story short, the chest pain was so severe, I thought it was the big one and I knew that continuing on my path of unhealthy eating etc... was not what God had in mind. I truly believe that God is calling us all to a higher level of optimism. Check out Phil 4:8 "Finally, brothers and sisters, keep your thoughts on whatever is right or deserves praise: things that are true, honorable, fair, pure, acceptable, or commendable." If this isn't a call to look for the good I don't know what is.
So what ever your hands find to do today, reflect on how God is working theIMPOSSIBLE THROUGH you and IN you.
Dave Petkau
Follow Dave's journey on Dave's District Dash www.davesdistrictdash.blogspot.com
Videos regarding disability ministry: The Disability Ministry Course
-
I have recently recorded and uploaded a variety videos about disability
and disability ministry. They talk about both "What is disability?" and
"What do...
10 months ago


1 comments:
This really spoke to me today ... I've been struggling with depression and fearful thoughts (what if's) ... to me at times, it seems impossible that I can ever get back to a state where I am not plagued by these fears ... but with God, all things are possible and slowly, He is revealing to me that I have strayed from reliance on Him and focused on self-reliance ... my impossible thoughts have just gotten another reminder that they too shall go away with God's help. I have often turned to Phil 4:8 in the past few days and it is a very good verse to memorize and keep close ... Thanks for the fresh start to another day where God can change my heart! ...
Post a Comment