Tuesday, November 04, 2008


Declaring Our Commitment

Have you considered my servant Job? Job 1:8


---------------------------


6 One day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them. 7 The LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?" Satan answered the LORD, "From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it."
8 Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil."
9 "Does Job fear God for nothing?" Satan replied. 10 "Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. 11 But stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face."
12 The LORD said to Satan, "Very well, then, everything he has is in your hands, but on the man himself do not lay a finger." Then Satan went out from the presence of the LORD.
13 One day when Job's sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother's house, 14 a messenger came to Job and said, "The oxen were plowing and the donkeys were grazing nearby, 15 and the Sabeans attacked and carried them off. They put the servants to the sword, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!"
16 While he was still speaking, another messenger came and said, "The fire of God fell from the sky and burned up the sheep and the servants, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!"
17 While he was still speaking, another messenger came and said, "The Chaldeans formed three raiding parties and swept down on your camels and carried them off. They put the servants to the sword, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!"
18 While he was still speaking, yet another messenger came and said, "Your sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother's house, 19 when suddenly a mighty wind swept in from the desert and struck the four corners of the house. It collapsed on them and they are dead, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!"
20 At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship 21 and said: "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised."
22 In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing.


---------------------------

About a year or so after Christian Horizons had established the first two homes in the
area, I met with Leonard, the manager for this region. Leonard spoke out during one
of our training sessions and told me that he wanted to be a Christian just like Howard,
who was a resident at one of the homes in the region.
Of course, being much too smart for my own good, I responded that he had it all
wrong and that the roles needed to be reversed. Howard was to follow
Leonard’s example. Boy, did I get it wrong!
Leonard explained that wherever Howard went in his small village, he would
reach out his hand for a handshake. At the same time he would say,
“Hi, my name is Howard and I am a Christian!”
Maybe we should all take stock of our own willingness to be publicly recognized as
followers of Jesus. It could be that there is some work for each of us. Take time today
to think about your various relationships at work, in your residential neighbourhood,
at the store or within your family. Does it appear that you are a proud follower of
Jesus or does your life indicate that you are slightly embarrassed?
Maybe we all need a reality check. Let’s face it, there is no better way. May we be
known for having been with Jesus. May people be able to match our words with our
lives of integrity, love, mercy, justice, kindness, patience and quiet wisdom.


---------------------------


Heavenly Father, help me to be a keen observer of people who exhibit Jesus in their
lives. I want to be more like Jesus so that others will come to know some of the joy
and richness that I have experienced since I began my life journey with Him. May I
see in every situation a glimpse of You, whether it is in how You bring blessing out
of apparent disaster, joy into the lives of loved ones or through the exhibiting of
Christ-like character traits by individuals facing a dilemma. I want to be a quick
learner from all that You place in my life. Amen.


- Noel Churchman


Noel was the Executive Director of Christian Horizons form 1976 to 2001. The devotionals we will be using are from a book he wrote in 2005 called “Walking with God”. Noel’s reflections are grounded in his experiences as an educator, and provider of supports for individuals with exceptional needs as well as his life as a dedicated follower of Christ.

Pin It

0 comments: