Friday, May 11, 2007

Those who work at Christian Horizons are aware that People, who face the obstacle of a disability, often demonstrate extraordinary ability in other ways. Many of us have met visually challenged people who has heightened levels of hearing or the hearing impaired people with extraordinary sight.

In a similar way, people with certain developmental disabilities may lack literacy and social skills, but compensate for it with a heightened emotional intelligence. They often know how you are feeling before you know yourself. I had the opportunity to experience this while I was home for the summer after my second year of University.

I was still adjusting to being away from home for the first time, I was not doing very well academically and I was very concerned that I was letting down the many people who had put a lot of time, money and effort into seeing me succeed. One day, during that low period in my life, I was out for a walk and met a guy I had known in high school.

He had some serious developmental and social challenges and as a result, spent much of high school in a special education class, socially isolated from other students. He was often teased for being slow, but was always positive, friendly and hard working.

He called me by name and asked me how I was doing. I lied and told him that I was fine. He asked me what I was doing now and I told him that I was going to University.

With a total lack of social graces, he screamed out, “aren’t you afraid?! If I was going to a big University, I’d be afraid!” Most people, who asked me about university, wondered about my major, the food I was eating or what my roommates were like. This guy was asking, “aren’t you afraid”? I admitted that I was more than afraid, I was horrified.

As abrupt and disconcerting as his question was, it helped me to acknowledge feelings which I had blocked completely. As I thought back on the incident, I realized that one of the dangers of growing up and taking on more responsibilities is that it gets harder to acknowledge feelings of fear, failure and rejection. We tend to bury our feelings and try to move on. We sometimes need people in our lives that skip the social pleasantries and help us get to the heart of what’s really going on.

If the obstacle you face today are blocked or unacknowledged fears, I hope a friend that you trust, takes the opportunity to ask: “Aren’t you afraid?” If they do, you may find yourself at a whole new level of emotional freedom.

What do you think?

For more information about Terry Harris please see

http://encourager.ca/files/204386522553841.pdf

Pin It

0 comments: